Financial Information

AKU is a debilitating disease. It can leave patients unemployed, immobile and in need of care.

If you are worried about the financial implications of living with AKU, this page will list where to find help, with useful information and links to official websites. Please note that this financial information is only relevant to those living in the UK.

Please see below for more information and useful links:

  • Turn2Us - You can use this website to find appropriate sources of financial support, quickly and easily, and based on your particular needs and circumstances. If you need any help call us, and we can fill out the online form for you. 
  • PIP Toolkit - Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has been replaced with Personal Independence Payment (PIP). This toolkit from the Department of Work and Pensions provides clear information about the changes. 
  • PIP Fact Sheet  - A fact sheet from Disability Rights UK about the Personal Independent Payment (PIP), including how people will be assessed and information about the activities test. 

Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)

Contact the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to see if you are entitled to any benefits including:

  • Carers allowance
  • Disability living allowance
  • Attendance allowance

There have been major changes to the Welfare system affecting benefits. For the most recent information check the DWP website.

Citizens Advice Bureau: My benefits have stopped

If you have any problems with receiving your benefits and want further advice check the Citizen's Advice Bureau website.

Fare reimbursement

If you receive certain benefits, you may be able to claim admission, discharge and outpatient fares for public transport for yourself and one adult. You will need to show proof of receiving benefits within three months of your appointment or admission.

Talk to the transport office or department of your hospital for advice.

Discount Rail tickets

The disabled person railcard allows you to buy discounted rail tickets. You can get 1/3 off adult rail fares for travel on the National Rail network in Great Britain.

If you're travelling with another adult they will also get 1/3 off their rail fare, so you can save money for a friend or family member too!

There are no time restrictions on the Disabled Persons Railcard, so you can use it to get a discount on tickets at any time of the day.

The card currently costs £20.00 and is valid for 12 months or £54.00 for three years.

More information can be found here.

Disability living allowance

There is a benefit provided to those under the age of 65 with a long-term health problem which affects everyday activities. It is not means-tested and not affected by any other benefits. It is split into mobility and personal care and each is assessed separately with a different rate of allowance for each.

There is a lengthy form to complete followed by a doctor’s visit to your house. The amount awarded can be up to several hundred pounds paid every four weeks. It is tax free.

Personal Independence Payment

Personal independence payment (PIP) is a new benefit for people who need help taking part in everyday life or who find it difficult to get around. It replaces disability living allowance for people between the ages of 16 and 64 inclusive.

Motability scheme

This is a means of purchasing a new car without the worry of things such as servicing, tax, and insurance. Applications can be processed through accredited dealerships. Eligibility to use the Motability Scheme is based on receiving one of the following benefits:

  • The Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA
  • The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP

For existing Scheme customers, eligibility to remain on the Motability Scheme will therefore depend on the outcome of their assessment for PIP.

If you are awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP you should not experience any disruption to your Motability Scheme lease as you move from one benefit to the other.

If you are not awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP you will not be eligible to use the Motability Scheme even if you previously received the Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA. Having to leave the Scheme will be difficult and because of this The Motability Scheme has decided to provide a one-off package of transitional support to those customers who can no longer use the Scheme as a result of their initial PIP reassessment.

If a person is not awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP and is challenging the decision DWP will not continue to make DLA payments while a decision is being challenged. The Motability Scheme will therefore not be able to leave a vehicle with the customer. If after returning the car you are informed by the DWP that you have been awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Motability Component of PIP, and have not received the transition support package, you will not be eligible to return to the scheme for 6 months. If you want to rejoin the scheme within these timescales you need to contact Motability direct to discuss your options.

For more information go to the Motability website.


AKU Twitter

AKU Blog

Garrod Day Coffee Morning: Tips for a Successful Coffee Morning

We are busy preparing for our annual Garrod Day Coffee Morning on the 25th of November... ...more

AKU Society upcoming events in Winter 2019

It's another busy few months here at the AKU Society. We are travelling all over Europe to r.. ...more

Get Involved In Garrod Day 2019

It’s that time of year again; our annual Garrod Day Coffee Morning is on the 25th of N.. ...more

In Memory of Ann Kerrigan – AKU Champion

We are very sad to announce that Ann Kerrigan passed away last week due to complications dur.. ...more

Meet Maria - AKU Society Student Placement

Hi! My name is Maria and I am currently a 2nd-year student at Royal Holloway University of L.. ...more